Lindsay George WILLIAMS
Military Cross
Major Williams was commissioned into Infantry in the Territorial Force in November 1952.  He joined the Regular Force in February 1955.  Since that time he has held a variety of regimental appointments (within the Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment) and seen service in Malaysia (twice) and Borneo.

Major Williams arrived in the Republic of Vietnam as Officer Commanding Whisky Two Company in November 1968.

During the night of 29th January 1969, Whisky Two Company was attacked from three directions by a suspected enemy company using rocket-propelled grenades and a heavy machine gun as well as small arms fire.  Major Williams controlled his company calmly and immediately ordered artillery fire into the area as well as fire from supporting aircraft.

Again, on the night of 23rd February 1969, whilst deployed in a company defensive position, Whisky Two Company was engaged by a large enemy force, later identified as part of a North Vietnamese engineer reconnaissance battalion.  Four members of Whisky Two Company were wounded as the enemy approached right up to the company’s defensive wire using rocket-propelled grenades and hand grenades.  Once again, Major Williams showed personal courage, calmness and ability as he controlled the fire of his sub-units and supporting fire.

On both occasions, heavy casualties were inflicted on the enemy, and quantities of enemy weapons, explosives and ammunition recovered in subsequent sweeps.  The body of the Commanding Officer of the North Vietnamese engineer reconnaissance battalion was identified after the second action.

On the 25th and 26th of September 1969, Whisky Two Company contacted a force larger than an enemy company in a bunker position.  Major WILLIAMS made three very skilful attempts to gain entry to the system but on each occasion was held by intense machine gun fire, small arms, rocket and claymore fire.  His control of the battle was such that he was able on each occasion to extricate his company with very light casualties by the intelligent use of artillery and the daring use of close air support. 

When Whisky Two Company finally entered the bunker system it was evident that the enemy had been forced out by the pressure exerted by the company and the well-directed artillery, mortar and air support.

Major Williams throughout his tour demonstrated great ability as a skilful infantry leader whose calm and resolute direction was largely responsible for welding Whisky Two Company into the fine fighting force it became.
Military Cross
NZ flag courtesy of
The flags of the ANZAC allies.